Friday, November 5, 2010

Lab 11: Cheater Blinds

I did a second lab this evening, skipping over Lab 10 (because it's late and all of the coffee shops are closed). In this lab, you draw from old family photographs (preferably vacation photos) simple black & white line drawings. This is called "Cheater Blinds" because you are doing a modified blind contour drawing, drawing without looking at the paper for a minute or two and then looking at the paper once in awhile to make sure that your drawing isn't "overlapping too much." The author suggests that you move your hand at the same speed as your eyes when you are drawing.

Here are my first few attempts next to the original photograph:




After drawing the outline with a fine-point permanent marker, you are to go back over the drawing with a finer point permanent marker and add in details, including shading, facial features, and texture. The drawings are to be simplistic and not-too detailed. In the first drawing of Tabitha, I added too much detail to her lips by adding fullness. I toned that down in the next drawing of Gideon. After a few drawings in my sketch book, and feeling more comfortable with the process, I drew a few more on Bristol for ATC cards. Here are those drawings:






Simon's eyes are particularly challenging, as they were in lab 9. After a few attempts, I figured out that instead of being oval-shaped, his eyes have an upward curve on the bottom lid, as well as the top. I tried to reflect that in the ATC card.

1 comment: