Thursday, October 28, 2010

Creative Lab Exercise 1: Draw A Cat - In Bed

I completed Lab 1 on October 27th. The project is to Draw Cats in Bed - - not to draw the cats in their bed, but to sit in your bed and draw cats. Why in bed? Something about the cushiness and comfort to loosen up your style.


Obviously, my style needed a lot more loosening up... so I drew with my left hand... and I drew with my right.. Drawing with my non-dominant hand (my left) did help to loosen me up a bit. I then found that I liked a certain style - - slightly off rounded heads, low set eyes that are far apart and a long nose. I stuck with that for awhile and drew more and more cats ~ 31 in all.

After I finished up the sketches, I chose a few of the cats for inspiration and made a set of four ATC cards. Here is the only one that I manged to scan in and save: I used a paper that I bought at Target that was 80% recycled paper and 20% banana fibers and stamped the background using Staz ink and a non-descript cursive stamp. Using acrylic paint, I painted the cats and then finished them off with an outline in black ink. This is cat#4. This cat will go in my live trade binder while the other three are off to Chris over at ATCHandDrawPaint (a Yahoo ATC trading group) for a cat-themed swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment